Party’s over for Fashion’s Night Out
Fashion’s Night Out, an event celebrated each September for the past two years on Broughton Street and elsewhere in the U.S., has been cancelled.
The annual shopping event has been part of New York Fashion Week since 2009 when it was created in response to the recession. It was masterminded by Vogue’s Anna Wintour and championed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
The event gradually expanded to 500 U.S. cities – including Savannah – and 30 cities globally to drum up business for the fall retail season.
Fashion designers CEO Steven Kolb said Wednesday he was proud of what had been accomplished, but there was grumbling from some stores and designers that it cost money they weren’t sure they saw back in sales.
In 2012, 26 retailers took part in the event in Savannah and two runway shows were featured, one near Drayton Street and the other near Montgomery Street.
Cecilia Russo, a member of the local Fashion's Night Out organization and a co-founder of the event said late Wednesday:
"We are aware of the announcement out of New York and in already in touch with our direct FNO/Vogue contacts in NYC. It is the desire of the City of Savannah and our FNO Savannah Committee to continue planning our local Fall event." To view a slide show from the 2012 Fashion's Night Out on Broughton Street, visit: http://savannahnow.com/news/2012-09-07/fashions-night-out-transforms-downtown-savannah-style