Title: Vice president for strategy and innovation
Company: Savannah College of Art and Design
Savannah neighborhood: Downtown
• Increase in collaborative projects by 250 percent
• Student employment rate of 90 percent within nine months of graduation
• More than 90 percent faculty retention rate
• 2011 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards for Culture Heritage Conservation – SCAD Hong Kong
• Third consecutive year: DesignIntelligence top award for undergraduate and graduate interior design programs
• DesignIntelligence 2014: No. 1 undergraduate and graduate industrial design program
1. SCAD Scholarship Gala
2. SCAD Seen Gala
3. SCAD Annual Fund
Questions for BiS
Q: As a proven local leader, please share your vision of Savannah’s future. What growth or challenge do you foresee by the end of 2014?
A: Real estate prices
Q: By the year 2020?
A: Diversification of businesses in Savannah
Q: By the year 2030?
A: Environmental issues and concerns
Q: How will you do business differently in the coming year or decade?
A: Communication methods are constantly evolving, and I will employ new technology to collaborate with businesses around the world.
Q: What technological or cultural advances are you looking forward to in the coming year or decade?
A: Zero pollutant automobiles.
A: What qualities or assets will distinguish Savannah and preserve/advance our local economy?
A: Savannah’s unique ability to bridge the gap between our long, rich history and design based innovation for the future.
Q: What economic drivers and business sectors promise the most growth in the next year or decade and why?
A: Alternative fuels because of environmental issues and pricing constraints.
Q: What college degrees will be the most in-demand in the Savannah area and why?
A: SCAD degrees because design is the future of innovation.
Q: What advice do you have for other Savannah leaders in the coming year or decade?
A: Keep an open mind and do not be afraid to fail. Recover and try again as fast as possible.
Q: What innovation of yours do you hope will be remembered by future generations?
A: The way that I build teams and treat other people