Title: Insurance professional
Company: Bernard Williams & Co.
Top three accomplishments
• Team Member during implementation and management of a benefits program for a national company with more than 5,000 employees around the United States
• Developed benefit programs for two international companies opening locations in Georgia with direct ties to Savannah’s ports
• Offering some of the most creative and cost effective benefits solutions for employers with more than 100 employees who are facing the Affordable Care Act mandate to provide medical coverage to employees for the first time in 2015.
• Extensive knowledge in self-funded strategies and analysis-self funded certified
• Attainment of Life Underwriting Training Council fellowship designation
• Rising Star Award from Mass Mutual
Current Philanthropic roles
• Current board member and executive board for The Next Generation supporting Memorial Hospital
• Current board member of the Community Sustainability Steering Committee for The Landings in support of obtaining the International Audubon Certification
• Past woman of the year candidate for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Questions and answers
Q: How will you do business differently in the coming year or decade?
A: I think that technology will improve our efforts and ability to manage employee populations. My biggest hope is that it helps us to manage into those employees into healthier lifestyles for the individual and their family and also the employer and the soft costs of work productivity that impacts bottom lines.
I believe that the things that really matter will never change no matter the years that pass. Doing what’s right will never be wrong.
Q: What technological or cultural advances are you looking forward to in the coming year or decade?
A: Accessibility to information is always an asset no matter the industry. As smartphones evolve I would like to see more “apps” developed. Ones that help advise on prescription drug costs, comparison of medical procedure costs and wellness assistance that all tailor to longevity but are based on consumerism.
Q: What qualities or assets will distinguish Savannah and preserve/advance our local economy?
A: Savannah has all the tools needed to attract industry, high paid execs and families like mine. The diversity draws all walks of life, which cumulate into the society we have today. Our focus on buying local, national and international marketing of our amazing ports and the beauty that Savannah possess naturally are all features that are endearingly necessary for both pleasure and commerce. Not to mention three military bases all within an hour drive from Savannah.
Q: What economic drivers and business sectors promise the most growth in the next year or decade and why?
A: Manufacturing is a given. We are a natural fit for many industries globally. As the tide rolls in and out, Savannah will see a paradigm shift in a more dramatic way back to local farms, fish and food in general. There are trade rules and business contracts that at times are impeding to local businesses to use what they have literally right in front of them.
Q: What college degrees will be the most in-demand in the Savannah area and why?
A: Medical will always be of great need and growing in the future. With the expansion of the Children’s Hospital at Memorial, the growth of the population in Pooler and the number of insured’s rising with the Affordable Care Act implementation doctors of all kinds will be of necessity.
Q: What advice do you have for other Savannah leaders in the coming year or decade?
A: Listen to your employees, your constituents and your children. It is easy to lose focus of what really matters when you are trying to fill the need of so many. Don’t make decisions because they are the most popular ones make them because they are the right one.
Q: What innovation of yours do you hope will be remembered by future generations?
A: I am working with many joint agencies to rebuild the playground and community area at The Landings. It encompasses all of Skidaway Island coming together to create something that can be shared by anyone at any time. A place for my children, my parents and strangers who are only that that because we haven’t met yet to enjoy together.