For many years, lead pigment was used in paint as a drying and durability agent. However, lead has been proved a dangerous material if ingested. It can cause nervous system damage, stunted growth, kidney damage and delayed development. Lead is particularly dangerous to children because it tastes sweet:Years of lead-poisoning evidence suggests that children put lead-based paint (LBP) chips and toys with lead dust in their mouths. Further, lead paint is dangerous to adults and can cause reproductive problems, is considered a possible and likely carcinogen, and in elevated levels can result in death.