BiS: BusinessInSavannah.com - Business news for the creative coast.
Tommy Wyher's picture

2016 Showed Savannah That Fires Can Happen Anywhere

Submitted by Tommy Wyher on Thu, 04/06/2017 - 12:54pm

2016 was considered a great year by some and the end of the world by others. Residents of Savannah generally have a relaxed attitude to most things except of course St. Patrick’s Day. This year saw a few fires which were both residential and commercial displace people and even had people evacuating. The Hyatt Savannah is the perfect example of one of these fires as a deep fryer started a fire back in August of 2016. The hotel had to be evacuated for 3 to 4 hours as the fire spread through the hotel’s exhaust system.

This brought up some issues as there were still guests that used the elevator although they knew there was a fire. Guests should know what to do in case of emergency as using an elevator during a fire can turn deadly quickly with smoke inhalation and burns. Most people have a plan for house fires that they go over with family members. Hotels and unfamiliar places should have signs on the walls letting people know what to do in case of a fire or other type of emergency. Below are ways that restaurants can prevent fires in the future by being proactive.

How Fires in Kitchens Can Be Prevented

Although the fire was started in the deep fryer and it was on minor, it is time to take a look at how to prevent other fires that come from within a restaurant kitchen.

  1. Install a fire suppression system:

This is crucial because most fires involve cooking equipment. These systems automatically dispense chemicals to subdue flames.

  1. Regular maintenance on electrical equipment:

Through maintenance, you will be able to watch for frayed cords/wiring, cracked or broken switch plates and other combustible items near to power sources.

  1. Inspect and maintain your commercial kitchen ventilation (exhaust) system:

A restaurant’s ventilation system consists of exhaust hoods, upblast fans, ductwork and makeup air units. The restaurant ventilation system cleans the grease-laden air and pollutants out, facilitates good air flow, and maintains an odorless environment.

Note cleanliness of the duct that is connected to the canopy hood, which carries the air to the upblast exhaust fans must be a priority. Failure to clean for extended periods of time can lead to fires, which can decimate a restaurant’s reputation and viability.

That is why it is so important to have a well-functioning exhaust fan and thoroughly-cleaned ductwork.

 

Comments